Tuesday, July 1, 2008

WTSIM - Berried Treasure - Berry Meringue Pie



This month's Waiter, There's Something in My ... is hosted by Jeanne of Cook Sister! She has chosen yet another clever theme - this time, Berried Treasure. No, this does not involve not the kind of treasure that Long John Silver had, but rather, any recipe which has berries as the centre stage.

It is the middle of winter here, so fresh berries are extraordinarily expensive. However, I had the foresight to freeze a few punnets of berries from the summer. For this challenge, I pulled out a punnet each of blueberries and blackberries. Here they are, all frosted over:




But don't they look good! I decided to make a "Heinz variety" recipe for this event - namely, a berry meringue pie with components from here, there and everywhere. I used the pastry recipe from
here, heated the berries (~300g) with half a cup of sugar and a quarter of a cup of cornflour on the stovetop until they became thick and bubbly, and put the resulting filling into the blind baked pie shell.


I then topped it off with the meringue topping from the January Daring Bakers challenge, which can be found
here. (I love this topping!!)


In retrospect, I should not have blind baked my pie shell, and should have baked the berries in the oven with the pie shell. Oh well, you live and you learn. It all turned out OK, but in case you are thinking of making this, be warned - the berry filling soaks into the pie shell, so that it becomes very sticky and a little difficult to cut neatly if left sitting - but delicious, all the same.

Thanks to Jeanne for hosting WTSIM again this month, and I look forward to the roundup.

7 comments:

Tammy said...

that looks gorgeous!! I love how well berries freeze!

Astra Libris said...

Positively gorgeous!! I love love love your combo of berries and meringue - such a wonderful, ingenious twist!

Ivy said...

Cake, save me a piece of this pie pleaseeeeeeee. It looks so good.
BTW voting has started for the Fat Chefs or Skinny Gourmets? and you can vote for your favourite recipe and your friends can vote for you.

A_and_N said...

Hi Cake, I'd like to 'judge' this pie as one mouth watering piece of goodness! Will check out Canadian Baker's blog for the original recipe :)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Oh, my gosh! That meringue looks like it's a mile high! Great job! :)

Jeanne said...

Oh WOW! That is a sky-high meringue topping :) And I love the pic of the pretty frosted berries. I msut realyl try to freeze some now while they are in season. Love the recipe - it's definitely going on my to do list :) Thanks so much for participating in WTSIM this month and see you there again soon.

Anonymous said...

It's always about learning new things right? The browning on the meringue looks so inviting.