Saturday, November 22, 2008

Kiwi cookies - Coconut Whispers


I have been a bad blogger this week - I have made plenty of things that I could have posted about, and I just haven't. If there has to be a reason other than my own slackness, I blame the head cold that I have had this week, which although not particularly bad, has sapped the life out of me and made me feel at least fifty years older than I actually am. The cold is still with me, but I am hoping that the blessed intervention of the weekend (albeit a cold and wet one) will give me sufficient opportunity to recuperate and feel more like myself again.

The wild weather outside has given me the perfect excuse to sit in front of my computer and post about the lovely Kiwi cookies that I made earlier this week called Coconut Whispers. They are from my latest gorgeous baking book, Ladies, a Plate, by New Zealand author Alexa Johnston. These lovely, golden cookies are a cinch to make, light as a feather and very moorish.

To make them, you will need:


55g butter, softened
115g white sugar
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla
150g dessicated coconut


Cream the butter and sugar using an electric mixer. Mix in the egg and the vanilla. Using a spoon, stir through the coconut.


Place teaspoonfuls of dough onto trays lined with baking paper, leaving space for spreading, and flatten slightly with a wet fork. Bake in a pre-heated 160 degree oven for 25 minutes or until golden, and cool the biscuits on the paper on a wire rack.


These biscuits are the perfect tea-time treat, being sweet but not overly so, and are so light that they won't spoil your dinner. They're just lovely.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look lovely and golden-delicious! I hope you get better soon too :D

Katie said...

Anything with coconut floats my boat. I have always been interested in Kiwi cooking, and this recipe has convinced me that I need to learn more...

jesse said...

Yummmmm, I want!

The Blonde Duck said...

They look lovely! I wish I had a few now to nibble on while I'm cooking dinner!

Anonymous said...

These look gorgeous golden and I like the fact that they are light (I sometimes find coconut cookies a bit heavy). I hope you're feeling better and that you have a speedy recovery! :)

Unknown said...

that's a new book, Gaye and you already get it? wow!! i have just dreamed it would be one of those wraps under the X-mas tree hehehe... Lovely!

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Lorraine :)

Hi Katie, this book is a good place to start - many of the recipes look wonderful.

LOL Jesse - luckily they are really easy and quick to make, so you can whip them up in a snap.

Hi Blonde Duck, I know what you mean - I often see things that I would love to taste, but realise that if I want to, I am going to have to make them myself :(

Hi Arfi, I saw it in Cuisine, then Tammy bakes from it often, so I had to have it!

Rosie said...

They look golden and scrummy!! I would love one with my cuppa mmmm..

Rosie x

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Rosie - they are so simple to make, I love them.

Anonymous said...

What did I do wrong. I measured everything exactly. Followed the recipe to the letter. The spoonfuls cooked in less than 10 minutes and are seeping in butter. They are flat as the proverbial pancake and don't look anything like to picture.

Anonymous said...

Whose a silly boy. I have just seen the additions to the recipe that give it the lift I was expecting, ie the flour and bp. Please ignore my posts