Sunday, July 3, 2011

Ginger Fudge Cake



 Recently, I saw that Emma of The Cake Mistress had posted a recipe for a Ginger Fudge Cake on her site.  Now "ginger" and "fudge" have to be two of my favourite things ever and I couldn't resist making this cake.

The cake is a ginger sponge, and it is topped by caramel/toffee icing.  You have to work fast with the icing because it sets up rather quickly once removed from the heat.

The recipe makes a ginormous slab of cake in a roasting pan:


The flavours of this cake and its catering perfect size made it ideal for taking to work - I just had to be careful to ensure that the toffee icing didn't touch anything, because it also sticks to everything and comes off if you aren't careful.  For this reason, I recommend cutting the iced cake with a knife that has been dipped in hot water - the icing sticks to the knife too.

Loved this cake - if ginger and caramel are your thing, then this cake is a must.

7 comments:

Katie said...

Ginger and caramel are definitely my thing. This cake sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

Wow. This cake is so yellow and bright! Just perfect for summer here.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh tis the season for ginger! A reader sent me a recipe for a ginger cake too! :D

Anonymous said...

The ginger and toffee sounds like a great combination!

anunturi gratuite said...

This looks very good and i`m sure that is delicious too. This looks like an easy recipe and that`s why i will give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Lauren Hairston said...

I definitely love both ginger and caramel. This is going on my must-bake list!

Mary said...

Ginger and fudge?! I'm in heaven, and would be sorely tempted to lick the knife between every cut.