Tuesday, August 21, 2012

BWJ - Popovers


Today's Baking with Julia challenge is Popovers, hosted by Paula of Vintage Kitchen Notes and Amy of Bake with Amy.

Now, until I googled it, I had no idea what a popover was. My Mum thought a popover was something that you wear (which indeed, in another guise, it is).  I thought it might be a pop tart, and even when I googled it, I thought it was some kind of Yorkshire pudding.  I believe that Yorkshire pudding is its closest known relative, but popovers are way more delicious and light than Yorkshire pudding.  Here are my popovers fresh out of the oven: 


I only read the forum discussion after I made my popovers.  Accordingly:
  • I made my popovers in muffin tins;
  • I did not pre-warm the tin, the milk or the eggs;
  • I sprayed my tins with oil and the popovers did not stick;
  • I used low fat milk and the popovers did not suffer in any way;
  • I used Devondale Light instead of butter - ditto;
  • I baked my popovers at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes, as my oven does not tolerate being turned down during cooking (it switches itself off);
  • I ended up with perfectly cooked popovers that weren't overly doughy in the middle.
Doesn't this look delicious to you:



I spread one popover with golden syrup:



And one with chunky quince jam and goats cheese (inspired by an online search of how to serve popovers):



Yes, Blogger decided the last two photos would be upside down, and I am too tired to care.

I absolutely adored these popovers!  I have never eaten anything quite like them before, but I would definitely make them again.  And best of all, I have three more in the freezer for another day.

Check out the LYL section of the Baking with Julia website for other reactions to this popover recipe.

20 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

I love your popovers Cake Law look really delicious!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes said...

I had a similar experience with my popovers. The quince jam and goat cheese is fantastic!

Cher Rockwell said...

They look like they came out perfectly! Great job.

Johanna GGG said...

I always get popovers confused with little pies - maybe they sound too much like turnovers - glad you loved them - and sorry to hear you are so tired (btw that is funny that blogger did funny things to you photos - my computer sometimes does but blogger usually leave them the right way up)

Kari said...

Upside down or not, these are very cute! I had heard of popovers but also didn't know what they were - now I'm quite keen to try them.

Cindy said...

They are the perfect breakfast/brunch treat. Add some jam or jelly--delicious. I'm making them for the grand kids this weekend--I'll call them monster muffins.

Teresa said...

Quince jam and goat's cheese - I think you win for best serving suggestion. It's making me want to make another batch.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Beautifully done! I love the crazy shapes these puff into :)

Im At Home Baking said...

Looks yummy!

smarkies said...

Those certainly look like delectable popovers!

Julia said...

Letovers are always a bonus!

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

Jam and goat cheese! Yummm!!!

Kathy said...

The best thing about baking with this group is all the new things we get to try! Our world is very small indeed! You did a great job on your popovers...they look quite tasty!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all your editions. Your popovers look great!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh I thought they were just like Yorkshire puddings but you say that these are better? :o I must give them a go!

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know what yorkshire puddings were so I had no idea what to expect! I'm glad I tried them and now I know! Your pics look great (upside down and all!)

pamkaren said...

Yours look perfectly cooked, not too dark on the outside. Maybe the constant lower oven temperature is the key!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

These are picture perfect popovers - quince jam and goat cheese sound wonderful with these! Glad you liked this recip and that it was such a success for you!

Margaret said...

I am glad these worked out for you. Definitely an American invention. Also used lowfat milk and did not heat the tin and they came out just fine. YAY!!

Yours look just fine.

Unknown said...

Great job on your first attempt at popovers-they look delicious with the jam;-)