Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Nigel Slater's Chrismas Cake - Take II



Melbourne Cup Day was Christmas cake baking day for me.  I like to bake a different recipe every year, and I thought I was being novel when I chose Nigel Slater's Christmas Cake from The Kitchen Diaries, which is also online here.

However, if I thought I was going where I had not been before, I was sadly mistaken.  A quick Google search led me to my very own post on the same Christmas cake, two years ago.

Oh well, it may be an oldie but it is certainly a goodie.  I was very pleased with how my cake turned out, and I will happily feed it with brandy between now and Christmas.  I may even branch out and ice it this year - who knows?

The gorgeous Santa atop the cake comes from the Christmas shop in Carmel, CA - I bought it on my June holiday to the States.  I had forgotten all about him until I baked my cake and pudding and was looking for ways to decorate them - and out popped Santa.

How is your Christmas preparation going?  Have you baked your cake yet? Or are you too busy with Thanksgiving to have got that far yet? 

6 comments:

Kari said...

Not liking Christmas cake, or Christmas pudding, I miss out on some of the more traditional aspects of Christmas. Most of my baking and preparations are conducive to being done in the weeks immediately before the event - having a cake to do ahead of time might get me more organised with cards and the like!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Christmas cake (or fruit cake in the US) has such a bad rap. Yours looks delicious though!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Mmmm nope no christmas cake yet but after seeing your recipe I might have to ;)
Yum!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Johanna GGG said...

I wish I had time to make cake but even making the pudding seems a bit much this year

TeaLady said...

too funny, Gaye!! I always check my blog first, just in case....

Jill said...

It looks fabulous! I should plan ahead and make one next year. I think at least some people in my family would enjoy it, and I know I would.

I'm getting ready for Thanksgiving, but will switch to Christmas mode this weekend!