Tuesday, January 8, 2013

BWJ- Pizza with Onion Confit



Welcome to Baking with Julia for 2013!  Our first recipe is Pizza with Onion Confit, hosted by Paul of The Boy Can Bake.

I was in two minds about making this one - I am not a huge fan of onions, and I remember that the onion pizza from FFwD was a little meh.  However, I  needn't have worried - these onions pack a flavour punch, as the onions are slow cooked with red wine, red wine vinegar, cassis and thyme.

What can I say?  This was really fabulous straight out of the oven.  The crust, baked on a pizza stone in a very hot oven, was crispy and light, and the topping of onion confit, and in my case, goat's cheese (coated in ash) and cherry tomatoes was just the ticket.

My only tip is - don't leave this til the last minute, as the dough has two risings over three hours, and the onions are supposed to take an hour to cook (I ran out of liquid twice so I stopped sooner).

To see what the other BWJ bakers thought of this recipe, visit the LYL section of the website.

20 comments:

Jill said...

Cherry tomatoes were a good idea. I wasn't sure how I'd like this one either, but I agree that it was fabulous!

Baking is my Zen...sweet nibbles for the soul said...

Tomatoes look delish!

Carmen
http://bakingismyzen.com

Kris' Kitchen said...

Such pretty colors and so appetizing. Looks perfect...I'd say that "sooner" worked well. I agree, lots of good flavor in this one.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I'd love pizza tonight! Alas, it's a little too hot so perhaps another night! :D

Kari said...

I don't love onions either, usually, but this way of cooking them sounds fantastic.

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen said...

Goat cheese goes so well with the onions, and tomatoes are a good idea to add freshness! Nice job, glad you liked it.

Maggie said...

I loved this one too - and even though it said it was best hot, I ate a cold piece and was perfectly happy with it that way too. Maybe I just really love pizza though...Cherry tomatoes sound great on it!

Sara said...

Nicely done! Neither my husband nor I like onions, so we passed on that, but the crust was terrific! And I like the tomatoes and cheese on yours - gives it a nice pop of color. Very pretty!

Elaine said...

Your pizza is so pretty with the cherry tomatoes. Yes, this is a fabulous pizza and well worth the effort!

Have Apron....Will Bake said...

I too wasn't sure about the onions, but did like them in the end. And I loved the goat cheese with them. I would definitely try this again.

Unknown said...

Pizza looks scrumptious! I just picked up a basket of cherry tomatoes-love them on everything;-)
Happy 2013 to you;-)

Dawn said...

Looks scrumptious! I'm unable to participate this month (broken foot---booo), so I'm living vicariously through you! ;)

Catherine said...

How fun this is to see all the different toppings! I loved the recipe and am actually baking the last of the dough tonight! Blessings, Catherine www.praycookblog.com

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

This looks wonderful - goat cheese coated in ash tastes absolutely delicious and I am sure that together with the cherry tomatoes and the onion confit it tasted just terrific on your pizza.

Kayte said...

Onions??? Oh, yeah. Definitely something I need to make.

Cindy said...

I looked at this recipe a few days ago and it just looked too big. But now I want a slice. I'll make it soon. It looks yummy.
I hope this works--it has taken me 3 tries to prove I'm not a robot.

Anonymous said...

I never thought of adding tomatoes! What a great idea!
Looks delicious!

loavesandstitches said...

Yes, I was impressed by the onions, too, even though I used white wine instead. They had a lot of flavor. Yours looks good. I will try it with goat cheese next time.

Inge and Gillian said...

Definitely agree. This pizza is fabulous. The addition of tomatoes adds a nice touch of color and balances the flavors.

Johanna GGG said...

there is nothing like great pizza - this one sounds wonderful - great way to start the year :-)