Wednesday, March 13, 2013

WWDH - Vegetable Pies



It's Wednesday (known as "hump day" in Oz), and that means it's Wednesday with Donna Hay.  Wednesday snuck up on me a lot more quickly this week, as Monday was the Labour Day holiday in Melbourne.  I spent Sunday and Monday in Bendigo, a famous Victorian gold mining town, and yes, I went down a gold mine!  Sadly, I do not have any gold to share with you.

Kayte chose this week's Donna recipe, being Vegetable Pies from Modern Classics I.  I envisioned these as being veges encased in puff pastry.  However, I was wrong.  These pies are a little more sophisticated, and comprise a shortcrust pastry filled with roasted vegetables, ricotta and cheddar.  They are also supposed to be sprinkled with parmesan on top, but I somehow forgot to do that.  No matter - these pies were delicious!!  The cheese gives a lovely kick to the vegetables, and it forms a harmonious mix on the palate.

The only thing I would change next time is to blind bake the pastry first, as my pastry had a slightly soggy bottom.  However, it was only minor, and I still enjoyed these pies very much.

Thanks to Kayte for choosing this recipe - do check out what she thought of her pick, as well as Margaret and Chaya.

8 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

They look fabulous Cakelaw! I love roasted vegetables and this open pie means that you can fill them up high! :D

Cindy said...

I just saw these on Kaytes blog--the do look delicious. Perfect light meal.

Kari said...

These are very sophisticated! And I am so impressed with your pastry tartlet. I almost wondered if it was store bought it looks so picture perfect, but should have known better than to even think it :)

Margaret said...

Simple enough to make all summer with the veggies in the garden. Love your little piled high Pie!!

Anonymous said...

I just went through your blog and you have amazing recipes! i am going for this pie and the boca-negra as dessert!! can't wait to give it a try! I was wondering if you would be interested in sharing your posts on Glipho? I bet that our users would love your stuff! It's a quite new social publishing platform, where you can connect to every social network accounts, really easy to use it and communicate with your followers and a good way to get exposure! In additional, you are able to import the posts from your blog in a super-easy way without affecting it at all.

Please, have a look and take a tour to know more about http://glipho.com/ and if you feel like it, in one click you can set up your account!

I hope you will join our Glipho community soon.

All the best,

Maite

Anonymous said...

How very fancy and tasty looking!

Chaya said...

I am a big veggie fan and would love to make this.

I wish, I had known about it.

Kayte said...

I thought I commented on this post but I guess I missed commenting even though I remember looking at it and reading it and thinking the little individual veggie pies were really cute. Great job. I can see me making these over and over as they were such a hit. You did such a nice job on these!