Saturday, March 22, 2014

Cheese and vegemite scrolls



Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscle
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich
 
Down Under, Men at Work

Vegemite is a divisive spread - you generally either love it or hate it.  As a kid, I was in the hate camp, but as an adult, while I don't love it, I appreciate its saltiness on toast every now and again.

It was meant to be A Taste of Harmony day at work yesterday, but it was cancelled due to lack of interest.  I went ahead and made my contribution anyway - cheese and vegemite scrolls.  I already had the ingredients and I was in the mindset to do it, so I went ahead.

For the uninitiated, bakeries here sell bread roll scrolls filled with cheese and vegemite as vegemite scrolls.  It is not difficult to replicate at home.  I chose this recipe for my scrolls because it had a bread foundation, like the ones in the bakeries.  Many recipes online use a scone base instead, which doesn't really appeal to me.

My modifications to the recipe were: (a) on adding the egg to the flour mix, I kneaded the dough using the dough hook on a stand mixer for about 5 minutes before the first rise; (b) I brushed the top of the scrolls with an egg and milk wash before baking to assist with the browning process; and (c) I grated some extra cheese to put on top (hence the scrolls aren't that visible).  The end result is a pull-apart loaf of cheese and vegemite scrolls:

 

I thought these were OK; I am not a huge vegemite fan, so that is as good as it gets for me.  However, I was told by someone who likes vegemite that these scrolls were good, but he wanted more vegemite!

There you go - if you want an Aussie food experience, make yourself some cheese and vegemite scrolls this weekend.  However, if you are not used to vegemite, definitely don't add extra.

6 comments:

2paw said...

Brace yourself: when I was little we drank Vegemite like Bonox!!
Now I usually have Vegemite on a nice little white load from the bakery at the corner, lightly toast, when I am poorly. I do like Vegemite, but in small doses. Your scrolls look very yummy and bonus points for making them with the bread and not scone dough.

Cakelaw said...

I don't think I am ready to drink Vegemite, even now, but I do like it on toast.

Kari said...

This looks like a giant scroll, am I right? What a great idea and I'm glad you went ahead with your contribution even if the day didn't!

Johanna GGG said...

I love cheeseymite but not too much vegemite- actually I loved vegemite more as a kid than I do now - probably due to my promite years even though we are pretty much a vegemite household now

Mardi Michels said...

See now I AM a huge Vegemite fan and I think these look fantastic!

Cakelaw said...

Yes, right!