Monday, April 14, 2014

Cranberry Hot Cross Buns


Easter is almost upon us, hence 'tis the season for making hot cross buns.  I have always wanted to try making my own hot cross buns, and was sold when I saw a recipe in this month's Gourmet Traveller Magazine for sour cherry hot cross buns. The recipe has been posted online here.

Instead of sour cherries, I used dried cranberries, as I already had some in the house.  These buns do take some time to make, so think of it as a half a day project while you wait for risings, baking etc. The buns are not hard to make.  The hardest part for me was marking the cross - the first piping tip I used was too thin for the flour paste used to mark the cross, hence I expended lots of energy getting nowhere before switching to a broader tip.  Remember to put the glaze on while the buns are still hot (although the recipe is silent on this).

The resulting buns were soft and moist inside, with a lovely sweet sugar glaze on top:


I am not a huge bread person, but I really enjoyed eating one of these hot cross buns with a dab of margarine:


If you are looking for a good hot cross bun recipe to cut your teeth on, I recommend trying this sour cherry hot cross bun recipe (with cherries or other fruit).

9 comments:

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

Despite the lengthy process it must be very satisfying to eat your own hot cross buns! Looks like you've done a great job!

yummychunklet said...

I still need to try my hand at hot cross buns. These look great!

Kayte said...

These look lovely and I really like the idea of those dried cranberries in there! I have made Hot Cross Buns before...maybe I should make them again this year as well. I have plenty of people to help me eat them at Easter time! Yours look wonderful.

Johanna GGG said...

I love love love hot cross buns - have been making them each year for a while but I am trying sourdough hot cross buns this year and feeling quite nervous about it - they are underway as I write - I was kicking myself I forgot to add cranberries because they are delicious in hot cross buns - glad you have enjoyed yours

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Cakelaw:)
I love the notion of cranberries in Hot Cross Buns. Although I've never made them myself, I think cranberries would be a welcome addition.

Thank you so much for sharing that link for Gourmet Traveller. I LOVE that site and had "misplaced" the link. Saved it now:)

Thanks for sharing your Hot Cross Buns with us. You did such a wonderful job and I think the "crosses" are just fine...

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

As much as I love chocolate, I always look forward to the hot cross buns the most. Nice idea using cranberry!

Kari said...

I love the idea of sour cherry hot cross buns, and your cranberry hot cross buns. I will have to consider making my own just to get those flavours!

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

Your hot cross buns look amazing, that is so on my bucket list to do as well. I think you did a great job on the pipping!

Lisa said...

Good looking job! I bet they were delish with the cranberries!