Sunday, July 13, 2014

Chocolate Stout Pudding


With the chilly weather, my mind turns to warming meals and desserts.  Steamed puddings are a favourite winter treat for me, and Ruby Tandoh recently published a recipe for rather tasty looking Chocolate Stout Pudding recipe in The Guardian.

It was a no brainer to make this, given that I had all of the ingredients to hand, including the stout.  It is an easy pudding to put together, but unless you are keen on using elbow grease, you will need to get out your electric mixer to cream the butter and sugar.  

This pudding is light and airy rather than dense and heavy, so it is the perfect dessert at the end of a hearty winter meal. 


I think this pudding would be brilliant with Ruby's chocolate stout sauce or with custard, but I opted for some vanilla icecream on the side with a drizzle of ginger syrup.

7 comments:

Hotly Spiced said...

I agree - winter needs some warming desserts like this. Your pudding looks wonderful - so rich and dark xx

~~louise~~ said...

I just knew I was going to enjoy this recipe, Gaye! I would have a difficult time choosing sauce, custard or ice cream. Since we're expecting lots of heat this week, I think the ice cream would be the way to go. Your pudding looks so good. I sure could use a taste right now!

Thank you so much for sharing, Gaye...

Johanna GGG said...

oh that looks so delicious - just perfect for our wintery weather - wish I had stout in the house - might need to go buy some

Kari said...

Light and airy sounds wonderful for a steamed pudding - and I am enjoying the run of stout recipes!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love the sound of this to warm up the kitchen and my belly! It was so cold today I would have loved the warmth of this steaming away :D

The Caked Crusader said...

I love chocolate stout cakes - this pudding is really calling to me; it's heavenly!

Kayte said...

I have yet to make a pudding of this nature and I think I might need to try this one for Christmas, it would be a fun thing to put on the dessert buffet, something unusual that no one ever has or makes here in the states. At least I have never seen it made or had it to eat! I will need to make 2...a chocolate one and a non-chocolate one for those people (that would be only me, of course) who don't always (or ever) care for chocolate. The search continues for non-chocolate one to compliment it.