Friday, July 18, 2014

FFWD - Coddled Eggs with Foie Gras - err, Duck & Orange Pate


For French Friday with Dorie this week, we made Coddled Eggs with Foie Gras - except that in my case, the foie gras was replaced by Maggie Beer's Duck and Orange Pate.  I was happy with my substitution, not just financially, but ethically as well.  I have never had foie gras, and now that I know how it is produced, I am not keen to start.

These coddled eggs are unusually made in a steamer  rather than being baked.   The eggs are steamed until the whites become opaque, but  leaving the yolk runny:

 

The pate is placed in the bottom of the ramekin before the egg, cream, herbs and salt and pepper.

I found this dish lacked a little punch.  I prefer Spanish eggs, which have a bit of punch.

To see what the other Doristas thought of this recipe, visit the LYL section of the website. 

14 comments:

Mardi Michels said...

See now I was thinking that Maggie's Pheasant Farm pâté would be a treat in this! Love your runny yolks. Due to a series of mishaps, I overcooked mine :( But I liked them enough to make again - they do scream out for other stuff" though! (Flavours)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I didn't even get a chance to taste these, but Bill enjoyed!

Cher Rockwell said...

Duck and orange pate sounds delicious.
People are coming up with some great substitions this week.

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

I don't enjoy eggs that much but I asked my dad and he agreed, he way prefers Spanish eggs as well!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Emily said...

I had to google spanish eggs and must say they are two different dish (I will try SE a go!). I did enjoyed this (mine was minus the foie gras and truffles) though.

Nana said...

Duck and orange pate sounds quite good. I am going to check out spanish eggs, never heard of that. I enjoyed this but mine were a bit
overcooked. More like hard boiled....

Guyla said...

I think several of us skipped the foie gras on this one. I found it delicious though.

Jora said...

Your yolk set absolutely perfectly, and is such a lovely shade of orange. I'm impressed! I'm sorry you didn't like this one better. I hope you enjoy the next one.

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Gaye, your coddled egg looks just perfectly prepared - glad that you found a tasty substitute for the foie gras!

tricia s. said...

Nice substitution. The duck and orange sounds like and intriguing (and delicious) combo. Looks like you got the coddling technique perfectly done- and not over done - great job.

Mary Hirsch said...

What are Spanish eggs? Guess I will have to google it. Yeah, I'm not too wild about foie gras either and used a very nice paté (which I still enjoyed today with my FFWD soup for next Friday).

KarenP said...

It sounds like pate made a nice substitution.

Betsy said...

I never heard of Spanish eggs either. I just looked them and they look really good. Will have to try. Glad you found something to substitute for the foie gras. I used a different kind of pate too.

Kayte said...

Somehow you managed to make liver look attractive to me...hats off to you! lol