Wednesday, July 2, 2014

WWDH - Vegetable Rice Paper Rolls



Margaret is taking us to Vietnam this week for Wednesday with Donna Hay with her choice of Vegetable Rice Paper Rolls from p78 of Modern Classics I.   Someone has also posted the recipe online here, if you are interested.

I confess that making rice paper rolls has been on my "to do" list for years.  I even bought the rice papers once, on speck at Aldi, but let them expire and did nothing with them.

Margaret's pick made me commit to making rice paper rolls, and I was glad that I did.  They are easy enough to make, although I will say that there is a definite art to rolling them, and as you can see, mine are far from perfect.  The big trick is not to add too much filling and to roll them as tightly as you can.

I left out the spring onion and mint, and substituted peanuts for cashews (because that is what I had).  I also skipped the brown sugar and soy dipping sauce from the book (different to the one in the online link), and dipped my rolls in Mrs Ball's Chutney.  Despite these adjustments, I was very happy with the end result.

To see what Margaret, Chaya, Sarah and Kayte made of these rolls, visit their websites.

8 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

I can't tell you how many times I've bought rice paper rolls only to have them expire! I do the same with won ton wrappers too and you know how long they last!!!

Your rolls look like they came out uniform and neat. I , on the other hand, would probably manage to have all the ingredients covering the entire kitchen missing the rice papers all together!

Thanks so much for sharing, Cake law and once again, thank you so much for joining the Picnic Game. I do hope you enjoyed yourself. Your Jelly Roll was gone in a flash!

Johanna GGG said...

I love rice paper rolls and went through a phase of making them and then I didn't quite like how mine were turning out so I think I need a new recipe - maybe this one - glad you have finally tried them - they are great for summer

Von said...

I always use my rice paper rolls up really quickly so I didn't even notice they had an expiry date! lol Yours look really neat and pretty- mine always end up shaped differently, and wonky haha :)

Sarah said...

I think your rolls look brilliant. They are hard to roll and anything that looks this good is a triumph! Rice wrappers are a cunning invention, don't you think? So clever how they are dry and stiff and then you can make them into these rolls!

TeaLady said...

Rice paper expires? I didn't know that. I will have to check mine cause I have had them forever!

These were so light and so easy to make. glad you enjoyed them.

Kari said...

I too wish I made rice paper rolls more often. I do tend to get to my rice paper before it expires, but generally only just! They always seem complicated when I think about them, but then it's never as bad as I expect. Yours look beautiful.

Chaya said...

I went to buy the rice paper and came home with a hundred dollars worth of groceries and no rice paper. I feel badly because this would have been something new for me.

Kayte said...

I make rice paper rolls all the time...so easy and delicious and perfect for summer lunches as you can stuff them with anything! Am on vacation, will make and post when I return. Yours look absolutely fabulous!