Saturday, October 4, 2014

Caramelised onion galettes with goats cheese

 

If you like mini food and want ideas for your next tea party, may I recommend caramelised onion galettes with goat's cheese, a simple but brilliant idea from p120 of Treat Petite by Fiona Pearce.

When I first read the recipe, I was unconvinced.  Supposedly you could make little puff pastry cups by cutting out 3cm circles from the pre-rolled puff pastry sheet, then scoring smaller (2.5cm) circles just inside, and it would cook up into a cup.  No way, I said, and I was thinking of making little tart shells instead.  However, time got the better of me, and I gave it a go - and I am so glad that I did: 

 
The pastry puffs up in the oven, but when you press on the scored centre with a spoon while it is still hot, the middle part crumbles inwards, giving you a neat, shallow little cup to load up with goodies.
 
The recipe suggests caramelising your own onions to fill the tarts, but I just filled them with a teaspoon or so of bottled caramelised onions - another time saver for the time poor, like me.  You then just pop a small piece of goats cheese on top of each tart, and a sprig of thyme, then bake at 180 degrees for a further 10 minutes and lo - you have gorgeous, perfectly formed galettes that look super and taste devine.
 
 

10 comments:

sherry from sherryspickings said...

yum yum this looks so good. and such cute cups.

Johanna GGG said...

how yummy do these look - and I love the sound of those puff pastry shells - must try them - so many ideas I could use in them

Catherine said...

These look beautiful and would be lovely for the holidays. Blessings, Catherine

Kari said...

These are really cute :) Beautiful finger food!

Anonymous said...

wow, damn delicious!!!
sweet caramelized onion and savoury goat cheese is a killer combo!!!

The Caked Crusader said...

One of my all time favourite flavour combinations - I could eat a frightening amount of these!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

What cute little appetisers! I love caramelised onion so much :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

TeaLady said...

THESE look wonderful. Love caramelized onion and goat cheese. Together - perfect!

2paw said...

Yes, it is magic, isn't it, when the sides rise. I have done this on some rectangular tart thingies. These are an excellent idea and I shall make them next time I need some treats to take.

Kayte said...

The onion galettes with goats cheese are so nice...they just look so appealing and wonderful on that tray. You pick out the best things.