Monday, January 5, 2015

The Drunken Admiral, Hobart - Take Two

 
If you are a seafood lover, I hope that the above picture caught your eye.  It was taken at the glorious Drunken Admiral Seafarers Restaurant in Hobart in December. It was Tim and I's second visit to this revered establishment, having first dined there in November 2013.
 
A suitably piratic skull 'n' crossbones sign marks the location of the restaurant at Constitution Dock:
 
 
while a figurehead, presumably of the Admiral, peers down at you as you enter:
 
 
Once inside, nautical memorabilia jostles for space with ye old advertising signs, making for a cosy if eclectic atmosphere: 

 
For entrée, both Tim and I made the very wise move of ordering the Fish Market Chowder ($15.50):

 
This is seriously one of the best things I have ever tasted, sweet or savoury.  It was simply devine, and if there is a next time, I will order this as a main.  It is just that good.

For main course, Tim ordered "Hook, Line and Sinker" - tempura fish with garlic, cumin, coriander, oregano, paprika and lime, with sticky ginger dip, fried and salad ($33.90): 

 
I got to try the sticky ginger dip on some fries, and it is seriously good.

My choice of main course was Port - Starboard ($35.90) - a hot and cold seafood banquet featuring chilled tiger prawns, fried scallops, a Bloody Mary oyster shooter, fried prawns,  chilled marinated octopus, beetroot and vodka cured salmon, ocean trout pate and crackers, tartare and cocktail sauces, and fried:


I did not like the Bloody Mary oyster shooter and was so so about the octopus and fried prawns.  However, I loved the tiger prawns, and my favourite of all was the delicious, smooth ocean trout pate, which would have been lovely all by itself.

For good reason, we were so full by the time we finished all of this that we skipped dessert altogether.

The Drunken Admiral has sittings as early as 5.30pm, and is very popular, so be sure to book if you want to be assured of a table.

The Drunken Admiral is a winner with us - we'd go again.

The Drunken Admiral
 17-19 Hunter St. Old Wharf
Hobart Town, Tasmania
Ph: +61 3 62 341 903

6 comments:

2paw said...

Oh my word, that chowder looks marvellous and your plate had so many things. I am not a fan of octopus, or oysters, but the rest looks so yummy.

Anonymous said...

I just love the exterior of this place. And the food looks amazing. I wish I could go here today

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I've wondered what this place is like. We've walked past it a couple of times! Thanks for the review! :D

Kari said...

We didn't eat here but I remember seeing it :) I'm glad you enjoyed your meal!

~~louise~~ said...

I seriously need some really good seafood, Gaye. It isn't something I get to have often. I sure did when I lived in New York though:)

I can tell already I would love the atmosphere of this place but, it's that chowder that would most definitely hold me off until the next time I get down to NY. It really looks so inviting!!!

Thank you for the "taste" Gaye. Now, I'm just craving seafood all the more:)

Kayte said...

Oh, goodness The Drunken Admiral looks fabulous. And you are getting to be a soup person, no doubt about it. :-) All that food looks delicious and fun.