Sunday, October 9, 2016

Lucy Liu Kitchen and Bar, Melbourne


Recently, I left my position to take up a new challenge.  For my leaving lunch, my team went to Lucy Liu Kitchen and Bar, an Asian restaurant off Oliver Lane in Melbourne.  The entrance to Lucy Liu is hidden away in an almost secret passage, so I was glad that Justine knew where it was.

The placemats at Lucy Liu all feature 3D animal prints - mine was the goldfish print at the top of this post.  The reverse side of the placement features the menu. 

We decided to go with the "Let Lucy Choose" option of 5 plates for $55 per person, with the son-in-law eggs as an added extra.

First up came the Kingfish Sashimi, served on sesame rice crackers:   


Next up was what I believe to be (read "I'm not quite sure") the sticky pork belly with coconut salad and chilli: 


The next dish was the son-in-law eggs, which came with a respectable amount of heat:


Next followed the sui mai prawn dumplings with red vinegar chilli oil (are you getting that there is a lot of chilli in these dishes?):


For a change of pace, we were served some fish - a pan-fried barramundi with fresh herbs: 


Here are the sides - steamed jasmine rice and spiced apple coleslaw:


The final dish is clearly beef, but exactly what the title of this dish is, I do not know because it does not feature in the online menu:


It was a big day, so all but one of us moved onto dessert.  Most of the group had the Vietnamese coffee icecream with the fried Chinese donut:


Never one to follow the crowd, I went for the banana fritters with roasted rice and coconut and vanilla bean icecream - definitely several steps up from the rather lewd looking specimens I have been served at suburban Asian restaurants:


The food at Lucy Lius was stupendous.  I am a huge fan of Asian food, so this place was right up my alley.  The service was efficient and friendly, and our little private dining area tucked away from the crowds was the perfect spot to chat:


Do I recommend Lucy Liu?  You betcha.  I would love to go back.


22 Russell Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Phone: 03 9639 5777

2 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Congratulations Cakelaw! It must be a very exciting time for you! And I've been here too and enjoyed the food. Thanks for the trip down memory lane :D

2paw said...

Good luck with your new challenge. That all looks so delicious and I quite like that some are a bit of a mystery, albeit a safe ones!!!