Friday, March 17, 2017

Maggie Beer's Preserved Figs


It is fig season in Australia, short and sweet as it is. I have been lucky enough to track down some reasonably priced figs to play with.

This time, instead of baking with the figs or making jam, I made some preserved figs instead using this  Maggie Beer recipe.  The beauty of doing this is that the figs stayed in a near to natural state, but were saved from rotting (as they have a very short shelf life). Instead of Stone's ginger wine, I used the non-alcoholic Rochester's ginger syrup.

The figs were lovely served on icecream and on breakfast cereal and on toast!! Highly recommended.




3 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh I must give this a go! I am crazy for figs and can't stand for them to end. This will prolong the season nicely! :D

Kari said...

Given my recent enjoyment of figs this is very well timed! Our fig season is coming up, too :-) (Although all UK figs actually come from Turkey!)

2paw said...

They look so lovely in the jar. I haven't eaten many fogs but I do love green ginger wine!!