Tuesday, May 9, 2017

TWD - Plain and Simple Almond Cake


For Tuesday with Dorie this week, I made Plain and Simple Almond Cake.  It is exactly what it says on the tin - a cake containing fat only from eggs, with almond meal and sugar making up the other components of the cake.


Despite its beautiful texture, I did find the cake a little too plain for my taste by itself, so I took up Dorie's suggestion and added jam in the middle of my slice, with some icecream on the side: 


This was a pleasant cake, which was very unassuming in flavour and can be dressed up, for example with berries and cream, to make a lovely dessert. 

11 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

It looks like one of those madeira cakes but sounds quite different from reading about it. I like the jam and ice cream idea! :D

Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) said...

This is a good one to have on hand for those times when you need a gluten free cake!

Zosia said...

It looks so pretty on your cake plate (which is very cute). Dressing it up with jam and ice cream is a good idea.

Kari said...

I like the sound of this with jam. And despite being a bit too plain in the end, there is something pleasing about a plain cake recipe - easy to jazz up if you choose but a great base to have.

Summer said...

I had wondered how it would be filled with jam. Know I know. Delicious! I enjoyed eating it plain and liked it that way too. Your version looks delish.

shirley @ everopensauce said...

A piece of this cake with berries and ice cream sounds so delicious. I thought I was happy with just the plain cake.

Diane Zwang said...

Sounds like I should serve something with this cake. Looking forward to making it.

pamela (brooklynfarmgirl) said...

It looks really moist and delicious!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I miss baking with you!! Yes, I'd jazz up this simple cake, too...maybe some raspberries and cream??? ;) It looks lovely!!! xo

Truth Serum said...

I am about to make this and I wanted to get some words of experiential advice, THANK YOU!

Unknown said...

Oh I love the shape you chose, what a pretty presentation!!